Are you tired of emotions controlling your life?
Are you tired of waking up in the middle of the night with uncontrollable worry?
Have you had enough of constantly feeling depressed, anxious and angry?
Are you frustrated watching your family members struggle and doing everything you can to help, but still feeling helpless?
It’s time to “Tame the Brain.” Our brains can be rewired. Science proves it.
WHAT IS TAME THE BRAIN? Skills that change lives.
Science has shown that we can rewire the brain to better handle emotions. Tame the Brain is a program to learn and practice tools that can help rewire the brain. Tame the Brain is based on neuroscience, –understanding how our emotions work with our brain. Tame the Brain is influenced by Cognitive Therapy CBT, Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Mindfulness (MindUP), and Positive Psychology.
"Tame the Brain" is a personal, life long, search of mine. I grew up in a well educated family. My dad was a NASA scientist but wrestled with strong emotions..
I have struggled with emotions. One second, things were cool, and the next, I was a mess. I had worked as a successful mental health professional for years, so why was it so difficult for me to regulate my own emotions?
How could I be this amazing person at work, and then come home and lose my emotions with the one’s I loved the most?
What’s worse, I have felt helpless as I have watched my own children struggle with their emotions.
Where are the answers? Are ‘rages’ a part of life? Or depression, or feeling like you can’t take it anymore. Is this what life is supposed to be about?
I didn’t get it.
I dedicated my professional self to figuring it out. But I felt disillusioned. It all sounded good in theory but reality was a different matter.
After working as a caseworker for adults with mental health issues . . .
After being a foster parent . . .
After teaching guidance lessons in at risk schools . . .
And after raising my own children . . .
I returned to get my Master’s Degree in Community and School Counseling. I hoped to find the answers and then go back and help others.
In my theories class I was introduced to cognitive therapy. As a research assistant I saw data on the most successful therapies. I was surprised at the success of cognitive therapy.
At last, a technique that worked to fight depression, rage and anxiety!
Later, I discovered DBT. Dialectical Behavior Therapy. It had components of cognitive therapy, but included mindfulness and other skills.
I saw the research. . .
Classes offering skills to rewire the brain. . .
I had found a solution.
A loved one was struggling. I felt desperate to find help. I found a DBT class and my loved one had an interview. This person, reluctantly, agreed to go. At last there was hope!!!!
The only DBT class I found was over an hour away. Over an hour in Atlanta traffic. Gross.
Okay, I was still going to make it work.
The only DBT class I found cost $150 a session and did not accept insurance. Gross. (That’s $600 a month. Yikes.)
Okay, we were still going to make it work.
So, my loved one had the interview to get started in the class to learn the skills. BUT IT WAS A “NO”.
After trying and trying to convince this person to get help, and finally, reluctantly, getting them to agree, the counselor determined that they did not have the ‘right’ diagnosis.
So, here is this fabulous class that I know can help…..yet they wouldn't let us in to learn the skills.
I vowed THAT I WOULD LEARN! I had a Master’s Degree in the field. I was qualified to get certified! And I did.
I taught friendship skills to kids but realized how much emotions cause friendship issues. I wanted to give kids DBT skills to deal with their emotions. I couldn’t find a DBT curriculum for kids, but my search led me to “MindUP”. MindUP is an evidenced based, social and emotional program built upon neuroscience, mindfulness and self-regulation.
I started teaching MindUP while getting trained in DBT. I saw some incredible changes. To be honest I was shocked. I worked with a child who would only whisper because of his anxiety. Later this same child got the lead in his school play. Does it perform miracles for everyone? Of course not. But I saw many more change than I thought I would and yes….I did see miracles.
Our brain is in charge of everything we do. Mindfulness practice can literally change the way the brain works. Practicing mindful activities, such as breath work, recognizing and labeling our emotions, and connecting with ourselves, helps us to stay calmer. Mindfulness helps us to recognize that split-second between when something happens to us and how we respond to it, so that we can choose to act in wiser ways.
Finally, I feel that I have some tools that really matter. Skills that research has shown can change lives. “Tame the Brain” is a result of my passion to find solutions. I have combined my knowledge from “MindUP”, Cognitive Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Brain Science and Positive Psychology as a foundation for this program.
These skills can help anyone. Many of the skills will sound familiar—. But when learned and practiced, things happen. It takes time and motivation, but LIVES CHANGE. Just like practicing an instrument—eventually it becomes second nature.
I vowed that if it was really something that can help people, I would make the skills accessable to everyone.
It has helped me.
I’m sure it can help you.
Tame the Brain is for everyone.
Will it make all your problems go away? NO.
But I can promise you that if you learn and practice the skills you will know how to cope better with feelings of anxiety, depression, anger and extreme emotion.
From there you can move on, to make life worth it.
“TAME THE BRAIN” Includes:
NINE ON DEMAND LESSONS TO VIEW ANY TIME, ANYWHERE
A PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP With Weekly Facebook Live Coaching (Starting February 12th)
ABILITY TO INCLUDE A SUPPORT PERSON
ACCESS TO CLASS FOR 120 DAYS
50 DOLLAR REWARD (REFUND) FOR COMPLETING THE COURSE
When life becomes overwhelming, you need relief now. To someone who is depressed or anxious six weeks is a lifetime. Trying to convince yourself or a loved one to get help can be next to impossible. And then when you are ready, to be told that you are on a waiting list for the next class in six months is not going to cut it.
I swore that if I ever found tools to help others that I would make the tools accessible immediately. I refuse to let people wait when they are suffering. I’ve been there and it’s scary.
This class will always be available. If you want to start it, you can start it. You will not have to wait for 3 months when I get around to launching it again. I will have a Facebook Group and in that group I will be talking about a certain lesson each week. This will probably be a different lesson than the one you are working on. It’s okay if you are on different lesson than the FACEBOOK LIVE group. If you are familiar with a 12 step program, they discuss a different step each week in their meetings but encourage the members to go at their own pace. This class is similar.
The Facebook group will be a place where students will be encouraged to use the tools we discuss. As I mentioned earlier this class will be available to begin at any time, but I will be giving special promotions at certain times of the year so the majority of students will be working on the same lesson each week. I will be discussing a different challenge or lesson live each week. You will have access to the lesson on line and access to a live lesson on Facebook as well. I will kick off the week with a Monday Facebook Live discussing the skill. Then I will be encouraging everyone at least 3-4 times a week to practice that week’s skill through the Facebook Group. I know I need reminders or I forget. Facebook is a tool I can use to give you reminders to practice the skills.
We will support each other using the tool that week. We will not be talking about personal challenges or self-harming or anything that may cause triggers. We will focus on the skills. This class does not take the place of a therapist or medication, but rather it gives additional tools for people to help with their strong emotions.
The wonderful advantage is once you pay for the class, you can do the challenges over and over again with the Facebook group.
You are allowed one support person to help you follow through with the class and challenges. I want you to be successful. This program requires practice so it may be helpful to include a support person. (I know it’s easier for me to exercise if I have someone to do it with). If you have a support person: a friend, family member, therapist, they can have access to the lessons at no extra cost.
A support person is optional The Facebook group is meant to give support.
This class will be available to you for 120 days after you sign up. If you do a class a week you should be done in 9 weeks. This gives you extra time in case of emergency, or if you want to go through some lessons again.
$50 DOLLAR REWARD (REFUND)
I want you to be successful! Rewiring the brain takes commitment, time and effort. You can’t be successful unless you practice. So for everyone who completes all the lessons and challenges and fills out the Weekly Challenge sheet and e-mails it to me, I will either reward you with $50 or give you $60 off my next class . Hooray! You are on the road to make life worth it and you get rewarded for doing it!
- (1) How do You Actually Do Mindfulness?
- (2) Get Ready to Practice Mindfulness by Observing and Describing.
- (3) Mindful Moment Listen Wherever you Are
- (4) Introducing Mindful Moments
- (5) Mindful Moment Listen 2: Join Me For a Walk
- (6) Observe and Describe
- (7) Participate
- (8) The How Skills of Mindfulness
- (9) Weekly Challenge: Mindfulness by Observing, Describing and Participating
- (1) Mindful Moment: Basic Deep Breathing
- (2) What Tools Do You Use to Calm Down Your Amygdala?
- (3) Deep Breathing: Research Shows it Does Amazing Things for the Brain.
- (4) Research Shows the Benefits of Deep Breathing.
- (5) "STOP" Skill
- (6) Take Care of the Physical Needs: Sleep and Eat No Hangry!
- (7a) Do I Have to Exercise?
- (7b) Do I Have to Exercise? (Written Manuscript of the Video)
- (8) Sunshine and Nature
- (9) Self -Sooth Through the 5 Senses
- (10) If All Else Fails, Ride the Wave
- (11) Weekly Challenge: Create a Toolbox
- (1) Mindful Moment: Paired Muscle Relaxation
- (2) Introducing "WEBS": Super Quick Brain Tricks to Get out of Intense Amygdala Mode
- (3) WEBS Skill PDF to Print Out for Quick Review
- (4) "W" is for Water
- (5) The "Water" Skill Works!
- (6) WATER: How to Create the Dive Reflex with a Bag of Water and Ice
- (7) WATER: Sounds Crazy But It Works! Try it.
- (8) "E" is for EXERCISE: Intense 15 Minute Exercise
- (9) "B" is for Breathing: Use Paced Breathing.
- (10) Paced Breathing 4 Second: Mindful Gnat
- (11) "S" is for Song and Sound
- (12) Sound: How Music Affects the Brain
- (13) Interesting Read on How Music Affects the Brain
- (14) Sound: The Effects of Music on the Brain
- (15) Weekly Challenge: Practice the "Dive Reflex" Skill
- (1) Mindful Moment: Waterfall
- (2) Our Thoughts Aren't Always True
- (3) A.N.T. Annoying Nonsense Thoughts. A Guide to Positive Thinking
- (4) Rethinking Our Thoughts- Cognitive Therapy
- (5) Adult ANTS Handout
- (6) Here is a PDF of ANTS that you an Use to Practice Changing into Hawks
- (7) Hawks that are Downloadable
- (8) Weekly Challenge: Change Your ANTS into a HAWK
1. What kind of challenge will it be? Will it take up all my time? The challenges are very simple. Most will take less than 5 minutes a day. The important thing is that you do them daily so you start building a positive habit. It’s important to practice because then when you are under stress, you become more aware of your reaction. You start using the tools.
2. Where do I record the challenges? At the welcome section of the class is a PDF to print out. Keep this with you and fill it out as you are taking the class. This is the minimal requirement in order to get your $50 reward or $60 coupon. However to get the most out of the course, find an organization system that works for you. Some people like intricate journal systems, for others a fifty cent notebook will work just fine. Or even a note place on your phone. The important thing is to record your challenges in the same place. That way by the end of the course you have everything together and can refer back to your notes.
3. How will the Facebook group function? Will it be a support group? The Facebook group will be a place where students will be reminded and encouraged to use the tools we discuss. We will support each other using the tool we discussed that week. We will not be talking about personal challenges or self harming or anything that may cause triggers. This class does not take the place of a therapist. It offers tools to help with strong emotions.
4. This is Only the First Class? Do I Have to Take All Three of Them? When Will I Notice Changes?
Three Classes will be offered to cover the many skills needed to help rewire the brain.
Course #1 - Tame the Brain introduces the basic concepts of brain science and mindfulness and how to calm down the amygdala. You are ready to start problem solving and making your life worth it.
Course #2 - Balance the Brain helps you start reasoning with yourself and therefore create your own destiny. You learn to take control of your life, rather than your emotions being in charge.
Course #3 - Tame the Relationships allows you to take the skills you have learned and adapt them to your relationships.
It takes time to “Tame the Brain”. The more we are aware and practice the skills, the quicker we rewire the brain. In DBT they suggest taking the classes twice, so the skills really sink in. At times, it is advised to take a refresher course. This is ongoing work, but so worth it.
4. Will it work? Will I be cured?
Will it make all your problems go away? NO.
But I can promise that if you learn and practice the skills you will know how to cope better with feelings of anxiety, depression, anger and extreme emotion.
And from there you can move on.... and make life worth it.
TAME THE BRAIN Is A System that Includes Three Courses, with 9 Challenges Each:
1. Tame the Brain Course (Sign Up Now)
2. Balance the Brain Course (Coming 2018)
3. Tame The Relationships Course (TBA)